09 Aug SUMMER BAKING – COCONUT ROCKS
A little bit of holidays in a ball of coconut, or as we call them in french, Coconut Rocks! You can still find these in local bakeries across France, usually in a pyramid shape. They are dead easy to make and only have 3 ingredients! No need for a fancy food processor, a wooden spoon is pretty much all you need. As you have already guessed they are made with coconut, and as everyone seem to think it has magical power, I could probably call these energy balls or something! Well they do have sugar… Sorry…Not sorry!
The outside should be crisp and the inside should be moist, a little bit like a Bounty Bar, minus the chocolate. Although no one is stopping you from dipping them in a bowl of melted chocolate!
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 large egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Malibu optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix the desiccated coconut and caster sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites until it reaches a thicker consistency, about 30 seconds!
- Add the egg white to the coconut mixture and mix well. Now, you should seriously consider adding Malibu to the mix! A couple of tablespoons would do the trick… or more to taste!
- Form little balls with your hands, squeezing the mixture well as you go and place on a baking sheet, over baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until nicely coloured. You might want to turn your sheet half way, to get an even colour.
Images: Dee Ramadan