This DIY is super easy – even littlies could make it (with a bit of help with the knots and scissors). It’s a great Mother’s Day present for Mum or Nanna because although we all adore macaroni necklaces, they don’t get much wear – but a snappy keyring never goes astray. Make it really bright and Nanna will never lose her keys during a ‘senior’s moment’ again.
- A ring loop
- A toothpick
- Beads (I got mine from Tiger)
1. Tape some wool to the end of a toothpick, which will become a sort of needle.
2. Thread the beads onto the toothpick and pull through.
3. Thread the toothpick through the ring loop as well, then turn it back through all the beads.
4. Tie it off at the end with a double knot and cut, leaving two longish strands. Be careful to keep it flat so the beads don’t fall off.
5. To make the tassle, wrap the wool around your hand a few times to form a good bunch.
6. Take the circle of wool and tie it to the strands through the middle of the circle.
7. Cut the circle loops to form tassles.
8. To finish your tassle wind more wool around the bunch close to the top. Tie it securely and snip off the ends close to the knot.
9. As a final step you could give the tassle ends a bit of a haircut so they are all the same length and look nice and tidy.
Easy peasy. Nanna has a new keyring!
Photography, video & styling: Emma Scott-Child