ONE FROM THE LADYLAND ARCHIVES…
Today is International Women’s Day, so we Ladylanders will be celebrating with a long child-free lunch, thanks to crazy feminist ideas like having partners that share childcare, being allowed to drink wine and using our own money to buy it.
We’ll also be feeling guilty for spending weekend time away from our kids; we’ll talk about why having a baby right now would affect our careers; and we’ll all share dessert because although we’re happy with our 30-something bodies, we still feel the pressure to look as if we’re 25.We’ve come a long way, but sadly, a woman’s work is still not done. So here are five reasons we should all be shouting about International Women’s Day.*
1. Because women are still likely to earn less than men, work for mates’ rates and give away their skills for free. And when we go back to work after having kids, we still struggle to maintain the career we have built.
2. Because young women are still not taken seriously when it comes to the health of our own bodies.
3. Because even a modern, developed nation like Spain can move forward with backward laws that endanger and disempower women.
4. Because even a modern developed nation like Australia has a Women’s Minister who is undecided on the whole feminism thing.
5. Because in other places like rural India, women’s basic reproductive health is so poorly recognised that this guy was thought to be possessed by demons when he tried to invent a machine that makes affordable sanitary pads.