16 Jul FESTIVAL COOKING – THE BREAKFAST BURRITO
The ultimate idea for any camping meal, especially at a festival, is to have as little washing up as possible. This breakfast is perfect for that, you only need one frying pan, a bowl, a chopping board, a knife and a spoon, and it will feed a whole family. That’s the beauty of the burrito, no plates! No washing up!
It’s basically scrambled eggs with chorizo and a tasty hit of salsa and guacamole – the perfect start to a big day. All the ingredients keep well on a campsite, even a few days in and it’s not as heavy as a classic full english, but it still hits the spot if you’re hangover. It’s easy to scale up too, so you could make it for a big group if you’re feeling generous with your sausage.
The breakfast burrito is a such a simple camping breakfast that is now an essential part of festivals for us. If you smell a whiff of chorizo at Camp Bestival, come and say hi!
- 6 eggs
- Chorizo – you can buy it pre-chopped
- Guacamole – avocados, fresh chillies, spring onions, salt
- Cherry tomatoes
- To make the guacamole – smash the avocados in a bowl with some chopped up spring onion, a finely chopped chilli (minus the seeds if you’re feeding kids) and the juice of half a lime.
- Fry up the chorizo until it’s good and crispy.
- Set the chorizo aside and make the scrambled eggs in the frying pan in the delicious chorizo oil to make it extra tasty.
- To make the salsa – chop the cherry tomatoes, add chopped spring onions, salt and a squeeze of lime
- Pack it all together and devour.
Photography: Emma Scott-Child