26 Sep HOW TO MAKE A SUPER-QUICK CELEBRITY MASK
You may well be wondering when on earth you’d need to make a celebrity mask. Well, dear friends, there are plenty of occasions where a super-quick celebrity mask can save your bacon. Let’s say you’re invited to a fancy dress party and you can’t be bothered to create an elaborate costume… Or, as happened to me recently, you’re asked by your seven year-old daughter to organise a Taylor Swift party. I mean, what even is a Taylor Swift party? Apart from stick the ponytail party game I didn’t come up with much. That’s until we decided to make Taylor Swift masks for all our guests… We didn’t stop there, Calvin Harris masks, aka boyfriend party masks, followed. From then on we were on a roll and Kanye West came along, you know, to spoil the party just a little!
Making a celebrity mask takes about 5 minutes. Honestly, it’s so quick. But there are a few rules to follow:
1. Choose an image of said celebrity as high resolution as you can find.
2. Said celebrity should be facing you obviously, no side pictures.
2. It’s easier with short hair or up ‘dos, but medium length hair is do-able.
- Print out of celeb face, life size of course (or resize in Photoshop) − I chose Katy Perry, another of Taylor’s foes, or so I was told by the seven year old
- Mounting card, not too thick, 300gsm is perfect
- Spray glue, the non-repositionable kind, you don’t want your face to peel off mid-party
- A pair of sharp scissors or better, a scalpel
- Large lolly sticks
- Masking or duct tape, no pretty Washi tape I’m afraid, it’s not strong enough
1. Spray the back of your print out with glue and stick onto your card.
2. Cut carefully around the head.
3. Cut out the eyes: now, I found that cutting out the iris, as opposed to the whole eye, made for a better, more realistic result.
4. Secure a lolly stick to the back of your celeb face using the tape.
5. Party like it’s 1989!