01 Aug PASTEL PINK STRAWBERRY POWER SMOOTHIE
Busy beyond belief? To-do list taking over? This tasty and nutritious strawberry power smoothie from Christine Joos could help save your weekend. We’re all feeling pretty stacked too right now (as you may of guessed from the slight dip in posts…ahem) and what’s the first thing to slide when your schedule fills up? Eating well. Not anymore. Presenting the Pastel Pink Strawberry Power Smoothie. Made in 5 minutes flat (consumed in less than 2).
This is a real quicky – great when you have zero time but want a fast and healthy power boost. First up, the fruit: strawberries provide a dreamy pastel shade and a delicious taste of summer. Hydrating melon adds sweet freshness while banana gives a quick energy kick.
Then I’m adding goji berries, packed with vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin A, iron, selenium and other amazing antioxidants – which are all good for our immune systems and help keep us fighting fit.
Hemp seeds are rich in Omega 3 – just 30 grams of shelled hemp seeds provide our entire daily intake. Plus they’re high in protein and a natural source of Omega 6 GLA – a type of essential fatty acid that’s essential for healthy brain function. I like to add chia seeds to most of my smoothies too because they add creaminess. And, of course, they’re full of valuable nutrients that can be highly beneficial for body and brain:
- As well as being rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, like hemp, they’re also high in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein, all important for bone health.
- Two tablespoons daily added to your smoothie, muesli or salad, provides you with a calcium amount equivalent to 18% of your RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance). This makes them a great alternative source of calcium if you don’t eat dairy.
- The fact that chia seeds are 40% fiber, by weight, also makes them one of the best fiber sources on the planet, which can also help with weight control. In short: chia seeds can help us to stay naturally healthy and slim.
- 2 big handfuls of strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 Piel De Sapo Melon (the green ones that look like a rugby ball) cut into pieces
- 1 splash of soya or almond milk, to get your desired consistency
- 1 pinch of coconut chips
- 1 pinch of goji berries
- 1 tsp hulled hemp seeds
Blend the strawberries, banana, chia seeds and melon until smooth, add your chosen milk until you get the consistency you like. Transfer into glass and top with coconut, goji berries and hemp seeds.
Add some honey or maple syrup to sweeten, if necessary. Drink, go forth and conquer your to-do list!
Christine Joos, aka @london_yogini, is a designer, smoothie alchemist, yoga teacher and mum who lives in North London. She’s a passionate yogini who believes in the transformative power of nutrition. As well as posting her wellbeing inspo here, you can also find her flexing her creative muscles for brands like ASOS, Virgin and Adidas.